Finding Sabbath

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Our Changing America

I came across this article the other day while waiting at Red Mill for my chicken burger.

Quote of a quote:

"...I, said O'Connor, am against judicial reforms driven by nakedly partisan reasoning. Pointing to the experiences of developing countries and former communist countries where interference with an independent judiciary has allowed dictatorship to flourish, O'Connor said we must be ever-vigilant against those who would strong-arm the judiciary into adopting their preferred policies. It takes a lot of degeneration before a country falls into dictatorship, she said, but we should avoid these ends by avoiding these beginnings. Nina Totenberg, NPR News, Washington."

Yikes. Respected Supreme Court Judge sounds the alarm about the naked power-mongering of the current administration.

I went to Canada last weekend, and wistfully contemplated the concept of Canadian citizenship. Sure, no country is perfect. They have health care problems too, just a different kind. But really. They are so much more politically progressive than America! If I had a cute Canadian to marry, I really might switch my citizenship.

Because I'm a little scared of America. I'm afraid that I'm going to be someone who is Frowned On and Not Tolerated because of myinsistencee on civil rights for all, not just White, Straight, American Christians. Because I don't think capitalism and massive amounts of debt are necessarily the best thing for us. Because I don't think corporations should fuck the environment, their employees, and consumers with impunity. Because I don't think another empire is a good thing. I am not a good citizen. I Have Doubts. I'm educated, and I'll question things.

So America and I, getting a little distant from each other.


2 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally vapid response, but, you went to Red Mill and didn't call us? How dare!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Clare said...

heh. It was a dash in and out at lunch time during the work week. But I'll remember next time I have a RM craving!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home