Finding Sabbath

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Yoga

About three years ago, I searched out a local yoga place and went a few times. But they changed from drop-in classes to series only, and I started grad school, so that kind of petered out.

One of my friends has recently gotten back into yoga, and is doing it three times a week! She's been encouraging me to start it back up myself. Since I have been wanting to get some physical activity back in my schedule; since grad school is almost done; since I have six Fridays off in a row (now through the end of the quarter) I determined I would do it.

So this last week I went to a Monday night class near my apartment and a Friday afternoon class my friend attends in Fremont.

And it nearly took till Friday for my muscle soreness to subside from Monday! (ow-hamstring, ow-hamstring). I am super impressed with yoga's ability to really truly provide a Total Body Workout. Most activities will focus on a specific set of muscles (legs, legs&arms..) but yoga can make you fell like every single muscle in your body has been worked over and found wanting.

So I intend to keep this Monday/Friday thing up for the next 5 weeks, and see how my body responds. Some other side effects I wasn't anticipating: more posture awareness, and more environmental awareness. I came back from Monday and felt like it would be a good thing to light candles and have some tea - I don't remember the last time I lit my candles. This morning I am listening to some tabla music.

mmm yoga.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home